I've Moved!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

crepes.

Bear with me, because this is yet another France-inspired post. 

I had crepes, with an asian twist, for breakfast! That green stuff you see in the picture is called kaya, basically a rich coconut-egg jam made with tons of egg yolks, coconut milk, pandan and sugar. It's best paired with salted butter, which was exactly what I did. After folding the pale yellow pancake into quarters, I blobbed on some, and watched it melt away into a golden puddle. 

I remembered when I was in Paris, where crepe stands dot every corner of the street, unsurprisingly, I had a butter-sugar crepe which was oh so divine. Just moments after the first flip, the crepe maker unwrapped an entire pack of butter and literally mopped it on the crepe while still on the pan, generously sprinkled the surface with sugar and folded butter-sugar bomb into an eighth of its original size. Then, she carefully slotted it into a paper bag and passed the precious package to me, hands outstretched and drooling. 

I took my time, nibbling as I took in the sights, and when I got to the end of the crepe, there was this pool of...of...what should I call it?...butter sauce, from the melted butter and sugar. Better yet, there was more in the bag! I stopped in my tracks and shamelessly slurped up the contents right there on the street, even tearing it open to reach the very depths of the bag.
Crepes
makes 8, recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil (Butter is better!)
  • *I added 2 tablespoons of sugar

Directions

  1. In a blender combine eggs, milk, flour, salt and oil. Process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
  2. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and brush with oil. Pour 1/4 cup of crepe batter into pan, tilting to completely coat the surface of the pan. Cook 2 to 5 minutes, turning once, until golden. Repeat with remaining batter.

No comments :

Post a Comment