I've Moved!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

not quite the baguette.

I felt so inspired after visiting Paris I had to make a baguette. Once I got home, I scoured my baking books for a recipe before deciding on one from Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan. Because I love Dorie and it's with Julia- how more french can you get?

I swear its the ugliest baguette ever made in the history of mankind. I have no idea what shape it is. A boat, perhaps? And I made a super big boo boo. I placed it seam side down after reading the recipe 5 times! Ha!
Taste-wise, its not really what I consider to be the best yet, but certainly comparable. The dough was initially quite wet and hard to work with but after the first rise, it doesn't stick to your fingers as much. I don't like hole-y baguettes so this suites me well. My baguette didn't turn out very crusty so I think I would leave it in the oven with the door open for a while after baking to create a crustier layer.
This was the underside!
I made little boules with the rest of the dough. The interior was soft, fluffy- nothing beats freshly baked bread.
I think next time I would try a no knead baguette for its long proofing time so as to get more depth of flavour out of the bread.


No comments :

Post a Comment