I've Moved!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

ice cream cones.



*Update: I realized that when I halved the recipe, I forgot to halve the flour as well, hence the whole harder to roll and hard to spread bit. 


Making waffle cones is painful.

My fingers are now red and throbbing, and every key punched is like a prick with a needle but these cones are so worth it. They are thicker than usual with a humongous crunch, and they don't get soggy so easily, even though I spent a good 30 minutes savoring my scoop of butter pecan ice cream.

I'm not sure though, if I will attempt cone-rolling again. It's hard to get the right shape when your fingers are burning. I should have worn gloves. Gee... why did I only think of that now...

I halved the recipe and made enough batter for 3 cones, and only 1 came out somewhat decent. But even that one had a gaping hole at the bottom through which most of my ice cream melted out of. I tried to block that hole with some ladyfinger biscuits, obviously that didn't work. Perhaps melted chocolate would. In the end, I had to eat my ice cream in a cone in a cup with a spoon.


Spreading the batter also took some skill- too thick and they were hard to roll, and I clearly had that problem. The batter was just so sticky! I would advise you to use up all of it at once, because if you let it sit, the flour would be absorbed even more and you will end up with a pasty glop.

If you don't have a cone roller like me, you don't have to go out and buy one especially for this. What I did was to cut out a big round out of a cereal box, make a slit up till the center and roll it into a cone. Tape down the slit with a lot of scotch-tape and then wrap the whole thing in aluminum foil. You don't even have to wash this! After using, just rip of the foil and replace with a new sheet. Convenient, no?


Ice Cream Cones 
makes 6
recipe from The Perfect Scoop


I accidentally added too much flour which resulted in a different texture- more crunchy-cookie-like than a delicate tuile sort of cone. I bet with less flour, the cones would be more malleable and more crisp rather than crunchy.


2 large egg whites
7 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup flour
2 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat your oven to 350F. In a small bowl, stir together the egg whites, sugar and vanilla. Add the salt and half the flour, stir, then stir in the melted butter. Beat in the remaining flour until batter is smooth.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and use a small offset spatula to spread 2 level tablespoons of the batter into a circle 6 inches across. Try to get the circles as even and smooth as possible, their shape doesn't change much. You're likely to get 2 rounds on one standard baking sheet.

Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, checking after about 10 minutes. The circles should be a deep golden brown, some lighter and darker patches are inevitable. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and use a thin metal spatula to loosen the edge of one disk, flip it over and immediately roll it into a cone. Press the seam firmly to close the cone and make sure you pinch the point at the bottom. Let the cone cool slightly on the mold until it feels firm then stand it upright in a tall glass to cool. Repeat with the remaining batter. If the other circle has cooled while you are dealing with one, warm it in the oven until softened.

Store in an airtight container until ready to serve. They are best eaten on the day they are baked.

No comments :

Post a Comment