I've Moved!

Saturday, August 6, 2011

waffle my world: savory sour cream and chive waffles.

I would like to start off this post by saying a big thank you to commenters on this blog! I know I don't reply everyone but I do read every single comment with a brimming smile and a heart overfilling with joy. The reason why I don't reply everyone is because I'll probably be typing thank you thank you thank you over and over again. So I figured that its a better option to send all you lovely people out there a giant muacks <3 to avoid repetition. I still can't believe that I have this blog with people who read and actually like it. This time last year, Crumbs and Cookies was just a tiny brainwave but look at it now! It's nothing compared to amazing blogs like Tartelette, Evan's Kitchen Ramblings and Sprinkle Bakes amongst many others but I can't help but feel so proud of it, and it's all thanks to you guys! I hope to see you around again soon~


I'm still a bit hesitant to post this waffle because I felt that a lot can be done to improve on it. I found this recipe on foodnetwork.com and I didn't follow it exactly as I subbed sour cream for buttermilk. Just one change but a major one- that's why I can't be sure if it's really as good as it should be. For starters, buttermilk does not have a flavour as rich and tangy as sour cream so the waffle's taste fell below my expectations. Because it's a savory waffle, egginess is actually desirable. I felt that more eggs can be used to increase that savory oomph. And even though the recipe said a pinch of salt, I think more than just a pinch is required to really bring out the flavour. I would suggest 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons of salt depending on the coarseness. Finally, because it's a sour cream and chive waffle, I would add more chives because the palsy amount the recipe called for doesn't make a difference at all, unless you just want colour. Maybe doubling it?


If anyone has a good savory waffle recipe, please do let me know! One with cheese would be good, I think. I don't really like cheeses but I feel that they are essential in making something really savory and comforting so I would be willing to try a waffle recipe with some in it.


Savory Sour Cream and Chive Waffles
adapted from Foodnetwork.com

Note: This is a very active batter due to the large amounts of leavening present in it so do put less batter than you would usually or you'll end up with a explosive eruption! 

1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
A couple pinches salt *I would up this to 1/4- 1/2 tsp salt depending on the coarseness of the grain
2 tsp sugar
A little freshly grated nutmeg *I think this doesn't make a difference so I would omit this
3 to 4 tbsp chopped chives * I would double this
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
2 tbsp butter, melted

Mix dry ingredients and chives in a mixing bowl. Whisk together wet ingredients in another bowl. Mix the wet and dry mixtures together until just combined.

Preheat your waffle iron. Cook the waffles as per your manufacturer's instructions.

Makes 12 individual rectangular waffles or probably 5 round waffles.

No comments :

Post a Comment