I've Moved!

Saturday, October 18, 2014

vegan chocolate kit kat cake.


Two days ago on the 16th of October, I finally graduated from junior college. (And then returned to school the next day for some mandatory briefing which was totally anti-climatic.) I have never known a more grueling time than these two years. All the late nights rushing out homework which resulted in precious breaks spent in a state of comatose, all the math quizzes and essays handed back with single digits scrawled in angry red ink, all the trudging up and down flights of stairs that seem strangely steeper on days I clocked in only a grand total of four hours of shut-eye; I'm so glad that I won't have to go through this experience again for at least a good few months but there remains the one final hurdle separating me and 12-hours-of-sleep-a-day paradise - an exam known affectionally and ironically as "As".


For the last official day of school, I baked this cake sorta as a parting gift for my friends and classmates because of the symbolic meaning of kit kats in Japan. Kit kats are pronounced as kitto katto in Japanese, which loosely translates to good luck. The vegan chocolate cake wasn't my original intention; I wanted to bake a sour cream cake instead but the fridge was out of eggs. My mum neglected to mention that she used up all of the remaining 8 for her cake after I'd madly rushed to the supermarket after my graduation ceremony with only 15 minutes to spare before closing time. Best mum award.

dessert - vegan chocolate kit kat cake

I was worried that the cake might not well-received but it turned out okay. The cake wasn't as chocolaty as the chocolate cakes I usually make but other than that slight drawback, it's pretty good for a vegan recipe. The amount of flour that goes into this is pretty shocking but if you take care not to overbake it the cake won't turn out anywhere near dry.

*Ending abruptly because my linguistic creativity is momentarily stumped*


Vegan Chocolate Kit Kat Cake
makes an 8 inch cake
adapted from the Flour Bakery cookbook

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp instant espresso powder
1 cup water
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp molasses (I left out)

kit kats, for decorating

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare an 8 inch round or square cake pan.

Whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder.

Whisk the water, oil, vanilla and molasses together in a separate bowl.

Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and mix until the batter is smooth and homogenous. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until an inserted skewer comes out mostly clean, about 20 minutes.

Cool in the pan until the cake is slightly warm, decorate with the kit kats and refrigerate. The heat from the cake will cause the chocolate to melt slightly so when you refrigerate the cake and the chocolate firms up again, the kit kats will stick to the cake.

No comments :

Post a Comment